Monday, January 7, 2008

Of Baby Fern, Orchid and "Mother and Child" Portrait





Baby is looking more like a "terrible 2" these days., stretching, getting elongated and trying new territory. The orchid is amazing (Steve and I think that there is an overuse of this word...) in the fact that it keeps on being splendid, not a sign of age! Hmmm......Its sweet scent has not diminished.
And I finished my drawing of macaque monkeys - only monkeys native to Japan.
Here is an explanation:
I was first only going to draw the mother but then Steve proposed that I add the little one (as presented in the photograph) and actually I had already decided to do just that....how could I sketch one without the other....but....but early on I made the head of the little one too big (I was using a magnifying glass and, believe it or not, I was becoming sleepy and I was drawing exactly what I was seeing through it...lol). Well I cut out a piece of paper, masked the mess and started over. Oh well! Moral of the story: don't use a magnifier as you are sleepy and draw!
From a photograph by Pete Oxford.

3 comments:

Charlie said...

If the shoe fits.....amazing, amazing, amazing.......

Is the smell any different now? Less sickly sweet?

Charlie said...

This is Isabella, Charlie's daughter, and I love your drawing of the baby and mother. It reminds me about how I feel about my mother. Connections are good in drawings. Beautiful.

franswazz said...

Charlie,
Thank you.
The scent is just the same, exactly. My goodness, I wonder how long these orchids keep on looking beautiful and smelling sweet....
Hi Isabella, how wonderful to hear from you again!
You obviously have a beautiful and warm relationship with "maman" (that's French for mommy).Thank you for the compliment.