Sunday, February 24, 2008

Yesterday's Feast



DavEm (see words, acronyms, explanation in appropriate column) came for dinner yesterday evening for one of our special treats....a French dish, cassoulet, accompanied by French bread, crisp salad and of course generous rations of Earthquake Petite Syrah...
I had started it several days before although, I had decided to purchase the confit of duck et NOT do it myself......takes for ever, I know, I have done it, following Julia Child's very good recipe.
By the way, you need tons of duck fat, yes, tons if you want to embark on your homemade confit. Cooking the beans and putting it all together, sausages, pork belly and all still takes a long time even if you have purchased your confit.
The beans , (harvested by hand), are Tarbais beans, from the foot of the pyrenees mountains in France, a beautiful variety with that melt-in-your-mouth quality, taking well to being reheated.
We enjoyed the whole experience but quite frankly my homemade confit is far better.

No comments: